I can’t believe I’m about to type these words … I signed up to run a half marathon … and I think you should too. Now, before you click somewhere else, give me 3 minutes and hear me out on why I think this will help you and your business!
The race I signed up for is the Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side – at the Walt Disney World® Resort in Orlando, FL. (that’s a mouth full)
I live about 20 minutes away from DisneyWorld. When we first moved to Orlando, we had season passes for two years and visited the Disney parks 50 or so times. I love Disney and felt that the Half Marathon could be something that would help me accomplish one of my major goals for 2016; which is to get into the best shape of my life.
I’ve never done ANYTHING like this before. In fact, I’m pretty sure the farthest I’ve run in my life is 4 miles or so and that was in high school (20 years ago). Part of me thinks I’m crazy, but part is also very calm and confident.
So, why did I do it? And why do I think you should join me?
Here are 5 Reasons why I did and why I think you should too …
1) Accomplish something major – I thought that getting into shape (will talk more about that in a second) would have been my number one reason to sign up for a half marathon. But as I analyze myself more, that’s not the case. Instead, I want to accomplish something major; and not just in business. I’ve done a lot in the business world (started my own company, created millions of dollars of revenue for clients, won awards, etc.) but it’s been all-to-long since I accomplished something major for my health or fitness. The last was winning a weight loss competition at Funktional Fitness in Gilbert, AZ in 2007. Before that, it was being the only unanimous All-Conference vote-getter after the 1996 High School football season. It’s time for a new accomplishment.
2) Get into great shape – Getting into the best shape of my life is one of my goals for 2016. It also was for 2015. And for 2014. I wish I could say that in each of the previous years I got into the best shape of my life, and now I’m just doing even better. Far from the case. I can either do the same things I did in previous years and get the same results or, I can do something different … and drastic. I think a half-marathon is different and drastic enough.
3) You will feel better – It’s no secret that exercising helps you feel better. When you exercise on a regular basis you feel happier, more productive and energetic. We could all use that. Having a goal like completing a half marathon could give you the drive to exercise on a regular basis. Knowing the race is coming should help motivate you to get out of the office and run or workout. So, you’ll enjoy the benefits of exercising long before your race!
4) It will help you be more successful in business – Don’t take my word for this. Listen to those who are WAY more successful than I’ve been in the business world. (Here is a list of many). As I’ve studied successful businessmen & women, nearly all of them have a fitness routine that they say helped them be successful. Regular exercise gave them clarity on what to accomplish next in their business and the energy to do it.
5) Be and example to others – For me, accomplishing this has a lot to do with being a great example to my kids. I have 5 kids! They are young; ages 13 to 3. I try to be a great example to them, and this is another way that I can do that. Who could you be an example for by completing a half marathon?
These are a just a few simple reasons, but I’m sure there are many more. You may have a deeply personal reason why completing a half marathon will help you! So I invite you to join me on this journey. Come and join me at the Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side – at the Walt Disney World® Resort. (no, that is NOT an affiliate link.)
To YOUR success,